This post contains affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure statement here.I just finished this amazing construction cake and matching smash cake. Aren’t they cute? The best part is that they were incredibly easy to make – something anyone can do!
Check out the details of this easy DIY construction site cake here:
To make a construction cake similar to these, you’ll need the following:
- Cake – If you choose to use boxed cake, this brand is my favourite
- Chocolate frosting – I use this recipe to make my own. I don’t recommend using store-bought as it doesn’t seem to hold details well.
- Cake board
- Set of mini construction trucks
- Cookie crumbs
- Chocolate rocks
- Yellow piping icing
- Other construction details – signs, etc. (Optional)
- Construction tape (Optional)
After you’ve assembled and frosted your cake, you can very quickly decorate.
- Cover the the cake board in construction tape. This simply adds another level of detail. For the smaller cake, I didn’t think it was necessary.
- Decide where the trucks will go. Will they be lifting? Dumping?
- Place cookie crumbs. I sprinkled crumbs all around the base of the cake as well as in random piles.
- Place the trucks. I love when a truck is tearing into the side of a cake (pictured above in the larger cake).
- Place the rocks. I added some around the base of the cake as well as in the buckets of the trucks.
- Add details. Pipe a message and add optional extra details.
My favourite parts of this cake are that the candy “rocks” that look incredibly real, and one of the trucks “driving up” the side of the cake that creates a nice balance with the Oreo crumb hill on the other side.
SO simple and easy to put together!