This post contains affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure statement here.
For our family, part of frugal living is paying close attention to what we budget for food. It’s incredibly easy to blow your monthly grocery allowance out of the water in one shopping trip. Personally, I budget $400-$500 monthly for all groceries (eating out is a separate expense) and stick to it by meal planning and shopping accordingly. It’s a constant battle and can get super difficult to stick with.
One of the biggest challenges in my day-to-day life is finding inexpensive dinners that our whole family enjoys. I’ve spent the last few years collecting and altering recipes in order to build a list that I can pick from every week, and just recently added this awesome meal.
If you’re looking for an easy, frugal recipe, here’s how I make this amazing cheesy chicken, rice, and biscuit bake.
When I choose new recipes, I tend to base them on items I already have in my home.
I had a can of Pillsbury grands in my fridge and upon googling recipes, I came across this one for a chicken and biscuit casserole. The recipe is so simple that I immediately tried it out. It was delicious, but the second time around I decided to alter the ingredients to make it a little more hearty.
By adding minute rice to the recipe, it becomes a full meal. It’s absolutely delicious, but be warned! It’s so filling.
The best part is that this is such an incredibly easy, frugal recipe to make, especially for such a large serving. This would easily serve 6 adults with large portions.
Scroll to see the full recipe!
Cheesy Chicken, Rice, and Biscuit Bake
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1/4 cup butter or margerine melted
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups minute rice
- 1 package Pillsbury biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Season and cook as you wish. I choose to lightly pan fry.
- Combine all other ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add in the cooked chicken.
- Pour mixture into a greased pan (I use 9 x 13" pan)
- Cut biscuits into small pieces (I chose to half them) and place on top of the mixture.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until biscuits are browned to your liking, and serve!