This post contains gifted products, but all opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure statement here.
I’ve been interested in getting a DNA test since the moment they became available. My grandmother is extremely passionate about ancestry and family trees. She’s always told me where I come from, but I thought it would be interesting to see how her research compares to test results. When I got the opportunity to partner with Ancestry, I jumped at the chance to test my physical DNA.
Here is my Ancestry DNA journey and results!
Ancestry DNA was kind enough to send me a test to try out for myself.
When it arrived, I was happy to see how easy and straightforward the process is.
- Log on to the website to register your kit – Each kit comes with a unique bar code and registration number that allows you to track the whole process.
- Collect your sample – It’s as easy as spitting into a tube. The only requirement is that you cannot eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum for 30 minutes before doing so.
- Add the cap and shake to release stabilizing fluid – Once your sample has been collected, there is a cap which contains a special fluid required for lab processing. You simply pop the cap on and shake for 5 seconds.
- Place your sample in the special collection bag and box
- Mail it out – The kit comes with a prepaid box that you seal and drop in your local mailbox. Super efficient!
- Wait for your results – The website provides step-by-step updates on your specific test. The estimate for results is 6-8 weeks, but I got mine slightly sooner.
Here’s what a kit actually looks like:
Before I took my test, I had my family place bets. I wrote down what everyone said – especially my Grandma. When my results came back, we realized she was dead on.
Here are my Ancestry DNA results:
The first 3 – England, Scotland, and Ireland – were totally expected (I guess we know where my red hair comes from!), but the less prevalent countries shocked me. Seeing Norway, Sweden, Wales, and Baltics was so cool. I would have never guessed! It was also really interesting to see all of the other test users who I am actually related to all over the world. The interactive map gives you the bigger picture, and it’s all around really cool to explore.
I 1000% walked around speaking in an English accent for an entire day after I saw this.
Overall, my Ancestry DNA journey was very positive.
The test was easy to do at home and even easier to send. Reading the results was incredibly straight forward, and the Ancestry website even allows for you to take your findings further. You can find relatives all over the world and begin to fill in gaps on your family tree. I can’t imagine how amazing this journey would be for someone who knows little-to-nothing about their family.
The hardest part was waiting the 6-8 weeks for results, but it was well worth it. Next, I would love to explore the DNA + traits kit.
A huge shout out to Ancestry for allowing me to experience this journey!